2008年10月18日星期六

Writing difficulties of engineering class

Writing difficulties of engineering class
Actually, the writing assignment of engineering class is quite hard for me. I found it was difficult to write my understanding in an academic essay. Once I was trying to express my ideas, I could not make it clear and accurate without copying the original sentences from books. During my bridging course, I have taken one chemistry module cm1501 and it required me to write an essay about protein structure and the usage of catalyst. In order to express the concepts accurately, I have borrowed a lot of books from library. However, after reading those materials, I felt that those explanations on the book were so perfect. If I wanted to paraphrase the paragraph and changed the words, I would change the meaning. Then I realized that if I copied those sentences, it was plagiarism. The problem was serious and I went to ask my tutor for help. The tutor suggested me taking the concepts from those books, but not copying the ideas. At last, I rewrote my ideas of the topic and integrated my ideas with those concepts and figures on the book. The result was better than I have expected. However, in fact, it was not a good academic essay. When I finished this module, I found that if I could put more diagrams, examples and mathematical proving in my essay, it would be more accurate and clear. From this module, I got the conclusion that a good academic essay required my own ideas about the topic, and it also needed a lot of examples, definitions and other scientists’research to make the essay convincible. Those stated above are what I am striving for. Moreover, I will work hard on my language. Sometimes my expression sounds quite weired due to the direction translation from chinese meaning. If I can enlarge my vocabulary and write in proper stucture, I can express my opinions accurately.

1 条评论:

raymondloh87 说...

It is great that you place much effort and emphasis on improving your language problem through the bridging module as well as EG1471 module we are taking now. You have mentioned a good point that should be brought up: the proper paraphrasing of an idea without changing its true meaning. It is not easy to master, but with your continued hard work, it is not impossible to succeed someday.